Are the Kids Alright? Putting the ‘Historic Decline’ in Child Poverty in Context and Examining State Policy Levers to Support Families’ Economic Security
New research shows child poverty fell nearly 60 percent between 1993 and 2019. Then came a pandemic that threatened families’ economic security anew – and some families more than others. What has been the impact of federal relief policies designed to support families’ basic needs? And what state policies should we prioritize to support families’ economic security? This session covers the nuances and causes of the drop in child poverty, which families are disproportionately impacted by poverty, the pandemic, and public policy, and what your state is (and is not) doing to support families’ economic security. Two states share their successful campaigns on tax credits, minimum wage, and cash assistance to spark a conversation on what policies could gain traction at your state house next legislative session.
You can find a detailed readout of the session here.
- Resource: Policy Inventory: State Levers to Impact Family Economic Security. Alliance for Early Success, 2022.
- Resource: Early Childhood Policy Profiles, Parenting and Economic Support Policies. National Center for Children in Poverty, 2022
- Report: Lessons from a Historic Decline in Child Poverty. Child Trends, 2022.
- Report: How Poverty is Measured in the United States. Child Trends, 2022.
- Report: The Expanded Child Tax Credit is Helping Families, But National Survey Shows Continued Outreach Remains Essential. CLASP, 2022.
Data: State-Level Data for Understanding Child Poverty. Child Trends, 2022.
- Data: Poverty in the United States: Explore the Data and Explore the Map. Center for American Progress, 2022.
- Messaging Guide: Economic Security. Think Babies.
- Report: 2022 Prenatal-to-3 State Policy Roadmap. Prenatal-to-3 Impact Center, 2022.
- Hawai’i State Story: Hawaiʻi Advocates Win Refundable EITC and a Higher Minimum Wage by Centering Racial Equity, Working Families, and Commonsense Messaging. Alliance for Early Success, 2022.
- Vermont State Stories: Vermont Allies Make Strides Towards Economic Justice and Equity and Several States Celebrate Wins on State-Level Child Tax Credits. Alliance for Early Success, 2022.